Taste. From my first sip of pure gourmet, 100% extra virgin olive oil, I was hooked. The tongue first tastes a sweet smoothness followed by a sharp bite and then a pepper finish. Olive oil is the perfect enhancer for most any food. Yes, we have even made olive oil ice cream and it’s darn good! As the Galantino family believes, olive oil is the protagonist in Italian cooking. When I received my first shipment of Galantino oils, I was amazed how quickly any meal could become “gourmet.” I started with salads and veggies and progressed into soups and pastas. Pretty soon I was choosing to use one of the oils for almost every dish I created. My friends would ask for the secret ingredient in my cooking – olive oil. As I continue to experiment, I will share my recipes as they evolve. Be inspired!
My good friend Eva devised this delicious salad using the Mint Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It’s delicious!
Minty Green Bean Salad with Walnuts and Feta
2 lbs. green beans, stemmed
3/4 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2/3 cup red onion, chopped
3/4 cup Galantino Olia di Oliva e Menta
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, coarse chopped
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
¾ t. kosher salt or to taste
¼ t. fresh ground pepper
To prepare the mint vinaigrette:
- Add the salad dressing ingredients to a food processor and blend. (Keep sealed in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.)
To prepare the Salad:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the green beans. Cook for 3 to 3 minutes, al dente
- Plunge beans into an ice water bath to halt the cooking and when cool drain and pat dry. Wrap in paper/dish towel, then into plastic bag if preparing in advance. Can be prepared early in the day for use later.
- To serve, lay green beans on a platter, scatter with the cheese, the onion, and the walnuts. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and keep the bottle of Olio de Oli a e Menta for drizzling.
- Great summer side dish to any grilled meats or fish.